Look at the new member of the new of Layton High's Lancelles!!!

Oh My Gosh!!! What a night.
Here's the scoop.
I wasn't feeling well earlier today. It was probably nerves combined with a touch of a stomach bug.
My mom dropped me off at LHS around 3:30. There were 43 girls trying out. I was #38 so it was going to be a while before I tried out. Surprisingly I wasn't nervous until right before I walked through the doors. They grouped us in 3's. I was in the middle of her group. I had an amazing returner on one side of her and a little sister of another Lancelle on the other side of her. I was freaked out.
That was probably the worst audition of my life!! On our military routine there was a part where we got down on our knees and then got back up. On my trip back up my tights made me slip on the gym floor and I had to catch myself with my hands. I jumped up and caught right back on but I was devastated that I messed up on it. On the bright side, it gave me adrenaline for stellar kicks. After I had messed up on that I knew I had to kill the dance!! I started out just fine. All that was going through my head was strut it, technique, point toes, strut it, technique, point toes... I messed up right at the end of the dance. I was furious with myself!!
After my try-outs I went back to where all the other girls were and I just sat there. I was so mad at myself. I wanted to storm back in gym and yell "TURN ON THE MUSIC, I'M GOING AGAIN!!" All I could hope for at that point was a call back so that I could prove myself. So I could show the judges how flawless I could do the military routine. So I could show them I knew that part in the dance where I had messed up.
And yep, just my luck... #38 didn't go back in the gym for a callback. I thought at that point I was done for. I was almost positive I hadn't made it.
Then there's my mom... she's seriously my best friend! She came in and I told her what had happened and that I was sure I didn't make it. Then she made a joke "you were on the floaooor." (Just imagine that in my mom's funny voice.) That was the joke of the night. "I slipped on my tights... I was on the floaooor!!" I just kept saying it in my head to keep me from crying cause I was SOO disappointed in myself!!
After callbacks, the seniors who taught us during clinics came out with our letters that either said you made it or you didn't. After they called my name I grabbed my letter and started walking to my car. I DID NOT want to be in that building full of screaming happy girls when I read my letter of denial.
As we walked outside there were two girls behind us that in a rush opened their letters. They made it and were screaming, and jumping up and down. My eyes started filling up with tears and I started walking faster to get in my car. I had "tears of shame" streaming my face as I ripped open my letter. The first word was CONGRATULATIONS but I was just waiting for the ball to drop in the middle of the letter to day, "but I'm sorry we can't have you on our team this year." I seriously read half the letter before my eyes went back up to the fifteen letter word at the top. I finally realized I had made it, already bawling, I screamed! I was so surprised. I turned to my mom crying "I made it, I made it!!!"
I whipped out my phone to call my dad but him being high on drugs because he was passing a kidney stone, so I wasn't too offended when he didn't pick up. Then I called my aunt Circe to tell her the news. While I was talking to her, we were parked right in front of the school and I looked up and saw the big "L" on the front of the school. That's when I realized, this is my school, which was way weird cause my whole family immediate and extended family is so die hard Davis High.
So immediately after we opened our letters there was a meeting in the gym for all the girls that had made it. And I guess when they said immediately after, they meant it. I walked back in the school and the only people in there were parents. The parents were rushing me into the gym but the doors were locked. We were all banging on the door and it took a while but they came and opened it. I kind of eased my way into the gym not knowing what to expect and all the girls were sitting in a circle. As soon as the door opened all the girls heads flipped and they all started screaming because they thought I hadn't made it. It kind of scared me actually because I wasn't expecting it at all!
Anyway... Super fun night! I hadn't eaten since 3:30 and by that time it was like 9 so my mom and I hit up Kneaders for some food. When I got home my cute aunt and cousins had brought me doughnuts! The night was such a rollercoaster. I'm not going to say it was a fun night because even thinking about it now stresses me out but from about 9 to 1 in the morning was pretty dang amazing!!
1 comment:
I am so proud of you, Lexie! you're a trailblazer, going to Layton instead of Davis and making it your own. Lancelles will be amazing! And what an audition story! I don't know who I'm logged in as, but this is circe. :)
Post a Comment