Here is a link to a blog post you all need to read. HERE It helps put life into perspective.
Brian and I have been a little on edge the last few weeks. We've been really busy and super stressed out with the move. Boston doesn't quite understand what's going on so we've been dealing with him acting out. And it's been bad. Poor little boy. We were at Walmart buying like a million dollars worth of organizing baskets and hooks and random crap so that we could finally finish unpacking.
At the end of our shopping spree I ran into customer service to return a few things while Brian loaded up the car. I couldn't help but noticed the lady next to me. She had a grocery cart full of food and four young children. She was telling the cashier that she could only spend $130 and so she needed to return somethings because her receipt totaled $160. She was a little frantic and I could tell very embarrassed. She returned some strawberries, telling the cashier they were just too much. She was rummaging through her bags looking for something that she could possibly let go. I could see toilet paper, fruits and vegetables, and bread. There wasn't anything in that cart that a family of five wouldn't need- it was all food. As I watched her hand things over to the cashier until her receipt totaled $130 my heart nearly burst.
Entitlement.
I ran back to the car and burst into tears.
I couldn't stand that I had just spend over $200 on random odds and ends while a mother of four was putting her strawberries back because they were too expensive.
I guess what made this experience so sweet is that it finally put my life back into perspective. It's definitely okay to buy and have nice things. It just all depends on where your heart is. While things have been a little rocky, I have what I need. I have my wonderful husband who adores me. I have Boston who is smart and healthy and little Savy girl who is such a diva I can hardly stand it! Things do not make a home. Love makes a home. Laughter makes a home. Time together makes a home. I've been so consumed with moving and what needs to be organized that I've completely lost sight of what's important.
I challenge you to remember what's important in this life. Let go of all the things you maybe can't afford, stop comparing and just start being happy. Marjorie Hinckley said it best-
I ran back to the car and burst into tears.
I couldn't stand that I had just spend over $200 on random odds and ends while a mother of four was putting her strawberries back because they were too expensive.
I guess what made this experience so sweet is that it finally put my life back into perspective. It's definitely okay to buy and have nice things. It just all depends on where your heart is. While things have been a little rocky, I have what I need. I have my wonderful husband who adores me. I have Boston who is smart and healthy and little Savy girl who is such a diva I can hardly stand it! Things do not make a home. Love makes a home. Laughter makes a home. Time together makes a home. I've been so consumed with moving and what needs to be organized that I've completely lost sight of what's important.
I challenge you to remember what's important in this life. Let go of all the things you maybe can't afford, stop comparing and just start being happy. Marjorie Hinckley said it best-
Make sure to check out Abby's blog.


No comments:
Post a Comment