Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Out of my mind...

How frustrating would it be to well, be the smartest person you know & have all the words to say but not having a way to say them. As I have been reading the book "Out of my Mind" (since yesterday) I've been thinking to myself why Heavenly Father bestows regular minds these physical challenge. Of course it is part of his plan but why.
In this book the main character Melody had to start screaming & crying at a teacher because it was February & they were still learning about the letter "B" in a 3rd grade class.
If I were Melody I would tell my mom to e-mail my teacher to say that I've known my alphabet for the past 4 years & I am smarter than the letter "B" (which often happens in our house.)
If I were Melody I would go talk to my teacher & tell her that everyone in the room can tell her the alphabet & can say all the sounds & pronounce the long & the short ways to say it.
Well if I were Melody. I couldn't. I couldn't write it down for her because I wouldn't be able to hold a pencil or say the letter "B" with all the energy in my body. The Buh sound just couldn't escape from my lips.

So my challenge for the next little while is to find in my "gospel recourse's" why special needs happens.
This book has helped me find a better understanding for what Jackson is dealing with. Even thought J is less severe than Melody, I can see why life would be so hard. Jackson is one of my hero's because he can hold it together & go through life with not being able to express feelings.

5 comments:

Circe said...

That's such a great book! I can't type what I think, so we'll just have to have a real conversation some time about this!
~Golda

Toni said...

Sounds like a good book.

Circe said...

Great book review! I love your thoughts on it. I thought of Jackson, too, when I read it, and wondered about all the amazing things that go on in his head.

Circe said...

I am so glad you are reading that book!! Out of My mind was one of my favorites!:)

Ruby

Jessica said...

You know the answer to why special needs happen is because HF gave each of us trials to test us. To some he gave a special need, to others he gave someone with a special need (aka Jackson and your family). It is hard to imagine that kind-of a life when we don't live it each day. I am excited to see all the kids I've worked with that have special needs after the resurection. :D You have some very good questions!